PARIS JACKSON I Am a Victim of Bullying!

2»

Comments

• GINAFELICIAGINAFELICIA Posts: 6,506
    I feel sorry for Paris for having to pay the price for her father's distorted image in some people's heads.<br />She is pretty, she is smart, she is the only daughter of the most popular man on earth, she is rich and famous so her haters CAN GO TO HELL >:(.<br />Stay strong Paris. Lots of people LOVE you (isn't that strange how one can be loved and hated at the same time for the same reasons...)<br />
  • 2good2btrue2good2btrue Posts: 4,210
    I just has to share this wonderful video posted by Patrick Treacy on facebook just today........All about Childhood and MJ...kind of fitting considering Paris's new revelation..!!!<br />Michael Jackson and the Rights of a Child - YouTube<br />
  • MJonmindMJonmind Posts: 7,290
    Gina I like what you said!  <br />The ones who love Michael, know him. The ones who hate him, don't. So its based on ignorance.<br /><br />On so many articles, movies etc. about MJ, there are still so many stupid comments that show the same bullying attitude is alive and well. Bullies could include online posters, trolls, and media.  Basically bullies feel empowered by belittling and hurting others.  I found this article:<br /><br />
    Bullies on Bullying: Why We Do It<br />Rachael RettnerDate: 26 August 2010 Time: 04:03 AM ET<br />  <br /> <br />Bullies tend to choose unpopular kids so they can keep their status while not losing the affection of the in-group, a new study finds.<br /><br />Kids can be cruel, for many reasons and most often on a fleeting basis. But bullies are tenacious in their brutal acts, and scientists have not had much luck figuring out why. A new study sought answers in a way no other study has, by asking bullies why they do it.<br /><br />Bullies with the most hostility reported picking on kids because those kids were not good at sports. The most frequent bullying involved picking on students they perceived to be gay or lesbian, a result that agrees with another recent study on bullying. <br /><br />While much more needs to be learned, the researchers now speculate that the beliefs and ideals of a particular community or society may influence bullying behavior.<br /><br />The research seems to indicate bullying is about "social attitudes manifesting themselves in a very basic way within the school environment," said study researcher Ian Rivers of Brunel University in the United Kingdom. "So if the school really upholds sports, kids who are not good at sport are going to be victimized because they are not living up to the expectations of others."<br /><br />Although the research was conducted in the U.K., the results likely apply to children in the United States as well, since issues of sporting and sexual orientation are common to both countries, Rivers said.<br /><br />The study involved 666 students (ages 12 to 16) from 14 schools who had recently reported bullying others. The researchers compared the bullies with a group of 478 students who had not recently engaged in bullying.<br /><br />Participants completed a questionnaire on bullying behavior, including a question on why they bullied others, followed by a list of options. Other surveys assessed students' mental health, substance abuse issues and demographic information.<br /><br />Bullies were more likely than non-bullies to live in families without two biological parents, such as living in single parent families, living with extended family members or with foster parents. Such situations may mean bullies, in some cases, do not receive as much attention at home, the scientists said.<br /><br />The study also found bullies were at high risk for alcohol and substance abuse. Fifty-nine percent of bullies said they had been offered alcohol in the last seven days compared with just 28.5 percent of non-bullies.<br /><br />Bullies were also at higher risk for mental health problems, including depression, anxiety and hostility.<br /><br />High hostility was associated with picking on students because they weren't good at schoolwork, they had certain possessions, or they were perceived as being gay or lesbian.<br /><br />Some of these issues may tie in to societal views as well. Society places a lot of value on possessions and "therefore envy can become a motivator," Rivers said.<br /><br />Communities might also be split on the issue of homosexuality, a topic some schools still have not properly address, Rivers said.<br /><br />How bullies see themselves<br /><br />Bullies tended to hold a negative view of themselves, suggesting they pick on others to feel better about themselves, and they may especially single out those who have trouble fitting in for other reasons.<br /><br />"While [bullies] may well be very sensitive about any differences or any failings that they have, they may also be setting themselves up so that they victimize those who have failings that are more challenged in society, that are perhaps perceived to be more problematic, such as being gay, such as being poor at sports, such as not being good at school work," Rivers told LiveScience.<br /><br />Rivers is also examining surveys from victims and witnesses of bullying, which he hopes will provide a bigger picture of the behavior.<br /><br />"This is something that is really important for teachers and administrators to know: What are the hot spots, what are the issues that we need to address in terms of making schools safe," he said. "If the issue is that kids are being bullied because they're poor at sports, then maybe we take the school emphasis away from sports."<br /><br />The study was presented in a poster session on Aug. 13 at the 118th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association in San Diego.
    <br />Bullies on Bullying: Why We Do It | LiveScience<br /><br />
    Why Do Bullies Bully? The Top 5 Reasons Why People Bully Others<br />June 16, 2010 • 18 Comments<br /><br />By Sensei Serge Sognonvi and Carmen Sognonvi<br /><br />Much of the conventional wisdom you’ve heard about the causes of bullying is wrong.<br /><br />One of the common myths, for example, is that bullies victimize others because they’re loners who suffer from low self-esteem.<br /><br />In reality, researchers have found that kids who bully others often have average or even above-average levels of self-esteem. Bullies often have good leadership skills, have an easy time making friends, and therefore have large friendship networks<br /><br />In fact, the Health Resources and Services Administration reports that “children and youth who bully usually have at least a small group of friends who support or encourage their bullying.”<br /><br />If bullying can’t be explained by low self-esteem, then why do people bully others? This article will take a look at some of the motivations that drive bullying behaviors so that we can attempt to answer the million-dollar question: Why do bullies bully?<br /><br />1. Bullies have a strong need to be in control and exert their dominance over others<br /><br />Children who bully others are often driven by the desire for power. They can be impulsive, hot-headed, and dominant, and they enjoy being able to subdue others.<br /><br />“When children are involved in bullying as the aggressors,” explains Debra Pepler, Distinguished Research Professor of Psychology at York University, “they are experiencing regular lessons in how effective it can be to use their power aggressively to control and distress others.”<br /><br />2. Bullies are rewarded for their bullying behaviors<br /><br />It may seem counter-intuitive, but the fact is that children often receive positive reinforcement when they bully others, which only makes them continue their behavior.<br /><br />The rewards could be material, such as when a bully forces his victim to give up lunch money. But the rewards could also be less tangible. Bullies often enjoy status and prestige because others fear them. They also command a lot of attention for their behavior.<br /><br />One recent large-scale study found that children who bullied others did so because they wanted to increase their popularity. To avoid losing social status, they deliberately selected victims who were unpopular.<br /><br />3. Bullies lack empathy, and may even get pleasure out of other people’s pain<br /><br />Studies shown that bullies score low on tests of empathic reactivity, and have also found that bullies can be more likely to develop anti-social personality disorder. This is a condition that causes people to ignore the rights and feelings of those around them.<br /><br />One study scanned the brains of young people who had exhibited bullying behaviors in the past, while they were watching videos that showed people experiencing pain. The researchers noticed a great deal of activity in the areas of the brain devoted to reward and pleasure.<br /><br />This suggests that it’s not just a lack of empathy that’s the problem. Some bullies may actually derive pleasure out of seeing other people’s pain.<br /><br />4. Bullies lack the ability to self-regulate emotions<br /><br />The same researchers who conducted the brain scan study made another surprising discovery: the parts of the bullies’ brains that allows them to self-regulate their emotions were inactive.<br /><br />This suggests that bullies simply don’t have a way to control their anger and frustration, which may result in severe overreactions to small provocations.<br /><br />5. Bullies are heavily influenced by their family backgrounds<br /><br />It’s impossible to predict who will become a bully and who won’t, but researchers have found some patterns in the types of families bullies have. North Dakota State University professor Laura DeHaan sums up the findings as follows:<br /><br />“Bullies tend to come from families that are characterized as having little warmth or affection. These families also report trouble sharing their feelings and usually rate themselves as feeling less close to each other. Parent of bullies also tend to use inconsistent discipline and little monitoring of where their children are throughout the day. Sometimes parents of bullies have very punitive and rigid discipline styles, with physical punishment being very common. Bullies also report less feelings of closeness to their siblings.”
    <br />Bullying Reasons: Why Do People Bully? Why Do Bullies Bully?
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403
    Good to read. I posted long ago somewhere in this forum also some notes about bullying. Will see If I could find the thread.
  • SimPattyKSimPattyK Posts: 4,281
    <br /> :) :) :)<br /><br />
    <br /><br />parisatopr.jpg
    <br /><br /><br /><br />♫ ♪  "I am the king of the jungle /They call me TIGERman<br />I am the king of the jungle / They call me TIGERman<br />If you cross my path / You take your own life in your hands<br />Yeah, I get up on a mountain / And I call my black cat back<br />Yeah, I get up on a mountain / And I call my black cat back<br />My black cat comes a runnin' / And the hound dogs get way back [...]" ♫ ♪ <br /><br />
  • underthemoonunderthemoon Posts: 418
    I watch the video's from the interview and i am so sad that i had big problems to understand Paris english. Isn't she speaking a dialect ? Michael, his brother's and sister's and Katherine are speaking so that i understand much more ! Sorry...so i watch and there come the thought that she sounds like Lisa Marie and second she acts like Lisa Marie in interviews...like she was around her very much...weird and it's only a feeling.<br />Please, english speaking members : What are you thinking ????<br />With LOVE ! <3<3<3<br />
  • sorry underthemoon, we dont have dialetcs in english. <br /><br />i am sorry you had difficulty understanding. perhaps do a google search for the transcript.