Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

Comments

• GirlSaturdayGirlSaturday Posts: 1,020
    I went for a drive today and listened to the radio while driving. Some songs played on a oldies/classic station. The station usually plays hits from the days gone by but you typically hear the same ones over and over. Seldom do they play lost hits like Rockwell's song. Well guess what song that they played out of the blue. I had not heard it played in over 10 years or so. Yes you guessed it, they played Somebody's Watching Me. I laughed out loud. The person in the lane next to me must have thought that I was some crazy woman as he watched me laughing and singing to the song. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • JennieJennie Posts: 514
    That's a very creative hunch but the dates don't add up. The Jackson 5 did not sign with Motown in 1964. That didn't happen until 1968. In 1964, they were still with the regional label Steeltown. Plus Diana had very discriminating tastes and motivations. Diana only interacted with men who could help her career. In 1964, Joe Jackson was still a poor steel worker and of no use to Diana Ross.
    I'm just going to flat out say it!! I am getting this very strong feeling, like something is drilling this in my mind and it is the first thing that comes to my mind everytime I visit this topic. JUST A STRONG HUNCH!!! And I have no proof or any facts whatsoever to back it up but I still felt like sharing, maybe it will stop poping into my head after.. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Ok so, I have a hunch that Rockwell could be Joe's and Diana's secret child wich would explain why Michael wrote a song called Dirty Diana, why Katherine hates Diana, why Diana was not invited at the funeral or memorial forget wich one it was/or both, would explain why Rockwell and Michael look so much alike, why I find Rockwell has Diana's lips. Also dont forget back in those years things like that we're kept hush hush and there we're very little divorces. Who knows, Katherine could have been so humiliated by it that she threated to put an end to the jackson5-motown deal and Berry decided to take responsibility for it having no choice and he was dating Diana in those years. I also always found it strange why Michael went to stay with Diana, wherever the other members of the group we're staying at that time could not have possibly been smaller than the house in Gary Indiana. And why Diana? I think there was mention in Taraborrelli's biography that they wanted Michael to learn from Diana from being around her... learn what exacly?? I dont know, there is a very good explanation out there for all these things I just brought up but how does anyone know they are the true reasons to why things we're played out that way???

Again, only a hunch and I mean no offense to anyone or the Jackson family by putting this out there. I am just always beeing to polite to even imagine putting ideas out like this one on the net but I feel we hit a dead end and maybe we need to explore new avenues to see where they bring us. And yes I do have a very strong feeling about this, but I cant say where it is coming from, I really dont know.

It's all for L.O.V.E. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

Yes it was creative wasn't it !?! <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> I did get the dates wrong as I've admitted to accidently doing so in a previous post. I still feel there is some kind of connection at least with Michael/Rockwell/Diana, that there is more there than meets the eye. But anyway no need to persue it unless something comes up pointing us in that direction. I am sorry if I offended you, I honestly did not want to offend anyone. <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
  • ZenZen Posts: 341
    Review<Song>: Cuts like a knife…
    January 5, 2008 by geekycoder
    Geezer: (LB2) for All Songs: Knife | Somebody’s Watching Me

image Rockwell, born Kenny William Gordy, is a R&B artist and son of the song Motown Records founder and former CEO Berry Gordy image . In 1984, he released the song Somebody Watching Me which features brothers Michael Jackson background vocals followed by Knife.image
    image Knife (1984) image
    This is a slow expressive song that depicts the feeling of losing someone.
    Yet to find Rockwell’s original MTV. Anyway …

I don't know if this was suppose to read brothers'...or if they left a part off. I cannot post the link to this
    for some reason.
    When I pretend wear a smile
    to fool my dearest friends
    I wonder if they know
    it's just a show
    I'm on a stage day and night
    I go through my charades
    but how can I disguise
    what's in my eyes

some lyrics to Knife.
  • karralynkarralyn Posts: 43
    Last night I made a long post about Rockwell aka Kennedy Gordy..............I must have done something wrong when I posted it, but it is not here, and I don't have time to go into it all again, BUT:
    Rockwell's mom is Margaret Norton, and was one of Berry's girlfriends. She caused the break-up of his marriage to Raynoma. Long story, but if you want the scoop on his mom, read the book Raynoma Gordy wrote..........excellent........
    "Berry, Me and Motown". It also talks about how Raynoma took him under her wing and helped him get "Somebody's Watching Me" produced, etc.
    He didn't want the outside world to know he was Berry's son because he wanted to make it on his own merit, not riding on the coattails of his dad's fame, and yes, he was friends with MJ, and just said, hey, how about coming and recording on this song with me.
    karralyn
    I was not offended and I highly doubt that anyone else was offended. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    That's a very creative hunch but the dates don't add up. The Jackson 5 did not sign with Motown in 1964. That didn't happen until 1968. In 1964, they were still with the regional label Steeltown. Plus Diana had very discriminating tastes and motivations. Diana only interacted with men who could help her career. In 1964, Joe Jackson was still a poor steel worker and of no use to Diana Ross.
    I'm just going to flat out say it!! I am getting this very strong feeling, like something is drilling this in my mind and it is the first thing that comes to my mind everytime I visit this topic. JUST A STRONG HUNCH!!! And I have no proof or any facts whatsoever to back it up but I still felt like sharing, maybe it will stop poping into my head after.. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Ok so, I have a hunch that Rockwell could be Joe's and Diana's secret child wich would explain why Michael wrote a song called Dirty Diana, why Katherine hates Diana, why Diana was not invited at the funeral or memorial forget wich one it was/or both, would explain why Rockwell and Michael look so much alike, why I find Rockwell has Diana's lips. Also dont forget back in those years things like that we're kept hush hush and there we're very little divorces. Who knows, Katherine could have been so humiliated by it that she threated to put an end to the jackson5-motown deal and Berry decided to take responsibility for it having no choice and he was dating Diana in those years. I also always found it strange why Michael went to stay with Diana, wherever the other members of the group we're staying at that time could not have possibly been smaller than the house in Gary Indiana. And why Diana? I think there was mention in Taraborrelli's biography that they wanted Michael to learn from Diana from being around her... learn what exacly?? I dont know, there is a very good explanation out there for all these things I just brought up but how does anyone know they are the true reasons to why things we're played out that way???

Again, only a hunch and I mean no offense to anyone or the Jackson family by putting this out there. I am just always beeing to polite to even imagine putting ideas out like this one on the net but I feel we hit a dead end and maybe we need to explore new avenues to see where they bring us. And yes I do have a very strong feeling about this, but I cant say where it is coming from, I really dont know.

It's all for L.O.V.E. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

Yes it was creative wasn't it !?! <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? --> I did get the dates wrong as I've admitted to accidently doing so in a previous post. I still feel there is some kind of connection at least with Michael/Rockwell/Diana, that there is more there than meets the eye. But anyway no need to persue it unless something comes up pointing us in that direction. I am sorry if I offended you, I honestly did not want to offend anyone. <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->
    Well I just cant shake it!! <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> I feel there is something up with this rockwell business. Long sigh! I'll keep it in the back of my mind and perhaps someday I'll come across the truth... Just so bizzare that we cant find Rockwell anywhere, not even a pic. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x -->

<!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    i truly understand what it's like to have a hunch or gut feeling about something.

I have often wondered about the short career of Rockwell. C'mon his dad was the founder of a huge and successful record label. It doesn't get any easier than that. Motown had some of the best songwriters and they could have written songs to fit Rockwell's singing style. Instead he became a one hit wonder and a trivia question. Why he dropped out of sight remains a mystery indeed.
    Well I just cant shake it!! <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> I feel there is something up with this rockwell business. Long sigh! I'll keep it in the back of my mind and perhaps someday I'll come across the truth... Just so bizzare that we cant find Rockwell anywhere, not even a pic. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:x -->:x<!-- s:x -->

<!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Thank you for that link. Paris is spitting images of the kid on the left?
    I know the "story" they gave, but I think it odd that Michael went to live
    with Diana Ross. It even strange, that Joe the father, in his control of
    family, would LET Michael go live with Diana Ross.
    And then, Jermaine marries Gordy's other daugther, thinking probably it would
    get HIM ahead in the game.
    The lyrics to Rockwell's songs, scream Michael to me.
    They may put a quick spin on this Rockwell, but there is something to this
    I believe.

Thank you for posting this. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> Could it be though? Could Michael be Gordy's child? That is what is being insinuated on MJHD isn't it? I dont know what to think of this. <!-- s:? -->:?<!-- s:? -->

Definetly though, there's something up with this rockwell dude! IMO <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->
    Two of Rockwell's songs are featured on "The Last Dragon" 1985.

Also, there is a Ken Gordy Ford in CA! Anyone want to call to find out
    if him?
    <!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Dragon<!-- m -->

So now the remake is being co-produced by Kerry Gordy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Dragon

So now the remake is being co-produced by Kerry Gordy.

Who is that? Berry's daughter?
    <!-- m -->http://wapedia.mobi/en/Kerry_Gordy<!-- m -->

OK, This is getting a little crazy! Please read below:

Kerry Gordy has been totally involved in the recording industry. His career began in 1973 working in the Motown Records mailroom. The early years of his career were spent in various administrative and creative capacities. In order for Kerry to separate himself at Motown from his father Berry, he changed his professional name to Kerry Ashby. During the 80's decade, any professional work done by Kerry was under the name "Kerry Ashby".
    In 1984, as Motown’s A & R (Artist and Repertoire) representative, Kerry re-created himself as the British-accented artist persona Rockwell with the duet with Michael Jackson called “Somebody’s Watching Me,”[2] which became a huge hit for Motown. He was then promoted to the coveted position of Director of A&R, where he worked on projects with Gold and Platinum artists such as The Temptations, The Four Tops, Rick James and Billy Preston among others. He also worked on compilation albums for Diana Ross and Michael Jackson. He became a Senior Executive for the Gordy Company (his father’s company after selling Motown) in 1988 where he was responsible for supervising Business Affairs, A&R, Product Development, Administration and Personnel. Between 1991 and 1993 Kerry consulted Al Bell’s independently distributed label, Bellmark Records. This union culminated with $26 million in sales and yielded the year’s biggest international smash hit, “Whoomp! (There It Is)" by the group "Tag Team" [3].
    Kerry’s mother, Raynoma, was a child prodigy in music and played eleven instruments. She orchestrated the first arrangements for Motown. Kerry lived with his mother until the age of 13. Kerry followed in his mother’s footsteps and plays several instruments as well. Kerry then moved to Los Angeles with his father Berry and became one of his father’s many protégés.

This would more likely fit the earlier theory. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Kerry_Gordy

Kerry Gordy has been totally involved in the recording industry. His career began in 1973 working in the Motown Records mailroom. The early years of his career were spent in various administrative and creative capacities. In order for Kerry to separate himself at Motown from his father Berry, he changed his professional name to Kerry Ashby. During the 80's decade, any professional work done by Kerry was under the name "Kerry Ashby".
    In 1984, as Motown’s A & R (Artist and Repertoire) representative, Kerry re-created himself as the British-accented artist persona Rockwell with the duet with Michael Jackson called “Somebody’s Watching Me,”[2] which became a huge hit for Motown. He was then promoted to the coveted position of Director of A&R, where he worked on projects with Gold and Platinum artists such as The Temptations, The Four Tops, Rick James and Billy Preston among others. He also worked on compilation albums for Diana Ross and Michael Jackson. He became a Senior Executive for the Gordy Company (his father’s company after selling Motown) in 1988 where he was responsible for supervising Business Affairs, A&R, Product Development, Administration and Personnel. Between 1991 and 1993 Kerry consulted Al Bell’s independently distributed label, Bellmark Records. This union culminated with $26 million in sales and yielded the year’s biggest international smash hit, “Whoomp! (There It Is)" by the group "Tag Team" [3].

<!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
    So now this dude has 3 identities!!!!! No wonder nobody has been able to keep track! <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o -->

Thank you for this, wow!!!
    Kerry’s mother, Raynoma, was a child prodigy in music and played eleven instruments. She orchestrated the first arrangements for Motown. Kerry lived with his mother until the age of 13. Kerry followed in his mother’s footsteps and plays several instruments as well. Kerry then moved to Los Angeles with his father Berry and became one of his father’s many protégés.

This would more likely fit the earlier theory. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Wich one exacly?
    Did you notice his date of birth? <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> JUNE 25TH 1959 !?!
  • http://wapedia.mobi/en/Kerry_Gordy

<!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
    So now this dude has 3 identities!!!!! No wonder nobody has been able to keep track! <!-- s:o -->:o<!-- s:o -->

Thank you for this, wow!!!

Kerry Ashby Gordy (born June 25, 1959) is a career music executive who is now the CEO of Kerry Gordy Enterprises, LLC and Nu Vintage, LLC.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Gordy
    Here's my question...
    Who recorded the song ...Somebody's Watching Me under the name Rockwell...Kerry (Ashby) Gordy or Kennedy Gordy?

I was always under the impression that it was Kennedy Gordy yet the wiki entry leads us to believe that it was really Kerry. BTW - are there pictures of Kerry? We do have a few early ones of Kennedy.
    Here's my question...
    Who recorded the song ...Somebody's Watching Me under the name Rockwell...Kerry (Ashby) Gordy or Kennedy Gordy?

I was always under the impression that it was Kennedy Gordy yet the wiki entry leads us to believe that it was really Kerry. BTW - are there pictures of Kerry? We do have a few early ones of Kennedy.

Nothing really, not that I've found anyway. I googled the name and only come up with the one for the sleeve of his cd somebody's watching me. It is all very mysterious and suspicious to me. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
    The Gordy's are even more mysterious than the Jacksons. <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

Here's my question...

Nothing really, not that I've found anyway. I googled the name and only come up with the one for the sleeve of his cd somebody's watching me. It is all very mysterious and suspicious to me. <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
  • Melzy777Melzy777 Posts: 501
    Taken from: <!-- m -->http://www.myspace.com/reggiebenjamin<!-- m -->

l_dff8a2295fff459a9425b93ed8390cea.jpg

Kerry Gordy, Reggie Benjamin (Wiki calls him The indian King of Pop), and Tom Mesereau..

l_acd3932a976247c68c5f35b7099d2702.jpg
    Reggie Benjamin and Kerry Gordy

l_7b1af2071bc5c7bb35242897de7e3a82.jpg

Kerry Gordy, Berry Gordy, and Reggie Benjamin.