Breaking News-Prosecution asks for delay in trial

Comments

• MJTruth77MJTruth77 Posts: 29
    To me it seems like they court scenes are not happening. Katherine isn't going to court to sue AEG, and now the defense, Murray has presented no report to begin the case, when THEY were the ones that wanted a speedy trial. It is like they don't REALLY want to do the court stuff...just try it in the MEDIA.

Hey! Where'd you hear that Katherine isn't going to court to sue AEG? I must've missed that because I never heard it. Is there a link or article to it?

Much thanks! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
  • fordtocarrfordtocarr Posts: 1,547
    To me it seems like they court scenes are not happening. Katherine isn't going to court to sue AEG, and now the defense, Murray has presented no report to begin the case, when THEY were the ones that wanted a speedy trial. It is like they don't REALLY want to do the court stuff...just try it in the MEDIA.
    Okay...I guess I misunderstood what was being said. Katherine is dropping 4 of the complaints. Here's one of the articles.

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Attorneys for Michael Jackson’s mother say she will not proceed with some of the original allegations in her complaint against the promoter of the London concert series her son was about to begin when he died, including fraud.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette M. Palazuelos ruled Feb. 2 that lawyers for Katherine Jackson and her grandchildren will have to provide more concrete evidence of fraud, negligent infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy, which the lawsuit alleges. She gave them 20 days to amend the complaint.

However, the attorneys filed papers Tuesday stating they “do not intent to amend the complaint.” The case is now scheduled to go to trial on the remaining allegations of breach of contract, negligent hiring and employer responsibility.

The suit was filed on Sept. 15 by Katherine Jackson on behalf of herself and her son’s three children, Michael Jr., Paris-Michael Katherine and Prince Michael, also known as Blanket.

The suit alleges AEG Live is responsible for the medical decisions made by Dr. Conrad Murray, the singer’s personal physician at the time, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s death.

The suit originally alleged Michael Jr. suffered negligent infliction of
    emotional distress when he “witnessed his father suffering and accordingly
    has suffered great trauma and severe emotional distress.” But according to
    AEG, the Jackson family lawyers themselves do not allege the boy was present when Murray gave propofol to the singer, nor do they claim the boy was aware the physician was causing any harm to his father.

The 50-year-old singer died June 25, 2009, of acute propofol intoxication.
  • The judge has asked for autopsy pic's????? <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: -->
  • Judge in Michael Jackson manslaughter case says he might delay trial of doctor

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Lawyers for Michael Jackson's doctor, insisting on a speedy trial on an involuntary manslaughter charge, appeared headed for a roadblock, with a judge saying Monday he doesn't think they are ready for trial and he may have to delay the planned March 24 start.
    "I am extremely distressed about the state of this case and whether the defence is prepared for trial and its obligations to Dr. Murray," said Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor.
    Prosecutors urged the judge to delay the start of jury selection, and Pastor asked them to present case law on the matter Wednesday, when he ordered Conrad Murray to appear. The doctor, who has pleaded not guilty, has been absent from the past few hearings under a waiver that allowed him to continue working at his clinics in Texas and Nevada.
    Murray's medical license to practice in California has been suspended by Pastor. Defence attorney J. Michael Flanagan told the judge the urgency of getting to trial involves Murray's fear that if it takes too long, Texas and Nevada will lift his medical license as well.
    Flanagan also suggested that Murray is running out of money to fund his defence.
    "We need to go to trial right away," he said. "We don't have the budget that would let us draw this out."
    Flanagan acknowledged, "We are still preparing this case," but said it was normal for evidence to develop even after the trial has begun.
    "We will be ready for trial March 24," Flanagan said. "We are not ready today."
    Prosecutors objected that they are entitled to receive discovery of defence evidence 30 days before trial starts, a deadline which has already passed. Deputy District Attorney Deborah Brazil said she has received no reports from defence experts or any statements from proposed defence witnesses.
    Flanagan angrily complained that the prosecution has not met all of its discovery obligations either.
    The judge ordered Brazil and Deputy District Attorney David Walgren to turn over clean digital photos from Jackson's autopsy as well as all of the surveillance tapes recorded at his Bel Air home on June 25, 2009, the day he died of an overdose of the anesthetic propofol and other sedatives.
    Pastor said that unless both sides quickly meet their discovery obligations, he will begin issuing sanctions of $1,500 per lawyer per day. The judge said he may have to start holding daily hearings in order to compel discovery.
    Among the experts Flanagan said he expects to call is a leading authority on the use propofol. Flanagan said the witness believes Jackson was addicted to the pain killer Demerol and was withdrawing it at the time of his death, which may have complicated his reactions.
    Outside court, Flanagan said prosecutors had 20 months to prepare their case while the defence began developing evidence in the past six weeks after a preliminary hearing.
    Flanagan said outside court that he believes Pastor can't overrule the speedy trial requirement unless the defence is found unprepared on the day of trial. By then, the judge will have called hundreds of prospective jurors to the courthouse and arranged for extra security. He stressed that arranging for such a high-profile trial is time consuming and complicated.

Does anyone know what time this will start and which courthouse it is in?
  • SinderellaSinderella Posts: 1,334
    Need to catch up on this when I've slept,I see we have some brilliant legal insights =]
  • ladylee1979ladylee1979 Posts: 257
    Lawyers representing DR. CONRAD MURRAY have urged a judge not to delay the upcoming involuntary manslaughter trial into MICHAEL JACKSON's death - because they "don't have the budget" for lengthy court proceedings.

The medic stands accused of administering the drug Propofol which killed the King of Pop in June 2009.

The case is scheduled to begin on 24 March (11), but Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor could push back the start date of the trial after prosecutors called for a later hearing, according to the Associated Press.

Speaking on Monday (28Feb10), he said, "I am extremely distressed about the state of this case and whether the defense is prepared for trial and its obligations to Dr. Murray."

But Murray's legal team have appealed to Judge Pastor to keep 24 March as the start date - as they are running out of cash.

Defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan pleaded, "We need to go to trial right away. We don't have the budget that would let us draw this out."

Reports suggest prosecutors are objecting to the trial start date because they are entitled to receive discovery of defense evidence 30 days before trial starts - a deadline which has already passed. The judge threatened Murray’s lawyers with hefty fines for failing to share evidence with prosecutors.

He told the attorneys for the pop icon’s personal physician that he would impose the fines or other sanctions on Wednesday (02Mar11) unless they met their legal obligation to turn over witness statements and expert reports to prosecutors.

Meanwhile, the judge has ordered Deputy District Attorney David Walgren to turn over digital photos from Jackson's autopsy as well as all of the surveillance tapes recorded at his home on the day he died.

<!-- m -->http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... al_1204586<!-- m -->

• In my State which is not CA, any report done on a supeonaed witness, that information is to be shared with both sides. For example, if the defense has a expert witness or just a witness in general that they are going to present at trial, the State (prosecuting side) should have all records/reports on this witness before the trial begins. The law on this varies from State to State but it sounds like CA has basically the same law.
    Hugs

Thank you, Karen. Interesting how "scripted" cases become this way...especially, this one. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • becbec Posts: 6,387
    I hope the trial won't be delayed. And again I hope Michael comes back this year. He told in TII that we have only 4 years to get it right mentioning 2012. So whatever his plan is according to the end of the world, it would be too late if he comes back in 2012 in my opinion. He needs to come back this year. So I'm crossing my fingers for this trial not to be delayed.

Don't worry PureLove, because I suspect the trial needs to be delayed a little bit.

But just a very little bit. March 24th as a start date is just a tad early if this is to last 6 weeks.
  • chloead505chloead505 Posts: 398
    ''This may deny some defense attorneys a Perry Mason moment when they surprise a witness and say, 'Gotcha!' " Conley said. ''But it's not television. It's not movies. It's real life."
    I'm sure Michael's got a lot of surprises up his sleeve for us all! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

chloead505, I hope you will stay with us throughout the trial, so we will be able to catch all the humor/satire that MJ has so cleverly woven into the details and plot. Yet it will all appear so serious and to the non-believers a heart breaking fight for justice. It's art and it's all for L.O.V.E! The best is yet to come!

I most certainly will stay, although my job is obviously quite time-demanding. But I cant wait for more feeds from Absurdistan <!-- s:-D -->:-D<!-- s:-D -->
    Another article. Interesting added info.
    <!-- m -->http://www.laindependent.com/news/local ... 01403.html<!-- m -->
    Judge threatens to sanction attorneys in Michael Jackson case
    By WIRE SERVICES

Story Published: Feb 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM PST

Story Updated: Feb 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM PST

Saying he was concerned about the sharing of evidence among attorneys, a Los Angeles judge Monday threatened to penalize lawyers in the criminal case against Dr. Conrad Murray, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with singer Michael Jackson's death.

During a pretrial hearing, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor told defense attorneys and prosecutors he was disappointed in persistent complaints from both sides about lawyers failing to share evidence.

"I want to emphasize I am considering very seriously the imposition of monetary sanctions at this point,'' Pastor told the lawyers.

The judge's comments were aimed at both prosecutors and defense attorneys, but he said specifically he was "disappointed'' at what he has been hearing about the lack of defense evidence being shared with prosecutors.

Pastor scheduled another hearing for 2 p.m. Wednesday, and he ordered that Murray and his lead attorney, Ed Chernoff, attend.

The judge noted that he did not want to punish Murray, but said he was considering penalties ranging from fines of $1,500 per day per lawyer, a possible delay in the scheduled March 24 trial date, inclusion of jury instructions in the case about "tardy discovery'' and — as a last resort — preclusion of some witnesses from testifying.

"I seriously am considering all sorts of responses to the discovery situation,'' the judge said.

During the hearing, Deputy District Attorney Deborah Brazil said defense attorneys turned over 526 pages of discovery last week, but 380 of them involved probate issues, and she was unclear of their relevance to the case. <!-- s:?: -->:?:<!-- s:?: -->

Defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan, however, complained that prosecutors were also failing to share evidence, calling the flow of information a "one-way street.''

Pastor demanded that the attorneys make serious improvement in communication before Wednesday.

"I expect a dramatically increased production of discovery between now and then,'' he said.

Both prosecutors in the case have asked that the March 24 trial date be pushed back. Pastor has not ruled on the motion, saying Monday that the District Attorney's Office would need to provide some case law to back up their request.

Murray, 58, is charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with Jackson's death at age 50, amid a series of rehearsals for an upcoming series of sold-out concerts in London.

Murray is accused of administering the powerful anesthetic propofol to the singer to help him sleep, then failing to properly monitor him.

Jackson was pronounced dead at 2:26 p.m. on June 25, 2009, after doctors at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center unsuccessfully tried to revive him. Paramedics who responded to the entertainer's rented Holmby Hills estate about two hours earlier said he appeared to have been dead for 20 minutes to an hour.

Murray proclaimed himself "an innocent man'' during a Jan. 25 court hearing, two weeks after he was ordered to stand trial following a six-day preliminary hearing.
  • MissGMissG Posts: 7,403

I most certainly will stay, although my job is obviously quite time-demanding. But I cant wait for more feeds from Absurdistan <!-- s:-D -->:-D<!-- s:-D -->

<!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
    Well well well........
    Never saw that coming

Ha.
    Nah I did really.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebrities-tv/judge-delays-criminal-trial-857948.html
    LOS ANGELES — A judge has postponed the trial of a doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death until early May.
    The judge handling the involuntary manslaughter case against Murray indicated Monday, Feb. 28, 2011, he might delay the trial in what would be a defeat for defense lawyers anxious to get on with the proceedings.
    Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor announced the delay Wednesday after meeting in chambers with prosecutors, defense attorneys, and Dr. Conrad Murray.
    The move came after the judge asked defense attorneys at previous hearings why they hadn't turned over more information on potential witnesses to prosecutors.
    The trial had been scheduled to begin with jury selection on March 24.
    Prospective jurors will be given questionnaires on that day, but opening statements are now set to begin on May 9.
    Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=13034910

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/03/michael-jackson-death-judge-postpones-conrad-murray-trial.html
    Michael Jackson's death: Judge postpones start of Conrad Murray's trial for 1 month
    March 2, 2011 | 3:20 pm

A judge Wednesday postponed opening statements in the trial of Michael Jackson’s doctor for a month to give both sides more time to share information with each other.
    Hundreds of prospective jurors will report as scheduled to a downtown courthouse March 24 to fill out questionnaires regarding Dr. Conrad Murray’s case, but Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said the final selection of panelists will not begin until May 4.
    “Because of the nature and extent of discovery in this case, counsel wanted a little more time,” Pastor said after a 40-minute closed-door meeting with attorneys.
    Murray, 57, is accused of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s 2009 death. He has pleaded not guilty.
    -- Harriet Ryan
    @latoyajackson
    FREEZING IN NYC
    36mins ago

Clearly she is really sad about the trial delay.....
    MJHIStoryVEVO
    Nareg Gourjian Joins Murray’s Defense

A Superior Court judge cleared Dr. Conrad Murray’s defense Friday to add a third member to his legal team.

Judge Michael Pastor said in a written decision that he had found “no real or potential conflict of interest” in allowing a Glendale attorney who had once worked for a lawyer representing Micha...el Jackson to defend the physician now accused of killing him.

The attorney, Nareg Gourjian, was a junior associate in the firm of Geragos & Geragos seven years ago when lawyer Mark Geragos was Michael’s criminal defense counsel.

Pastor’s ruling came a day after the judge held closed-door meetings with Geragos, Gourjian and Howard Weitzman, an attorney for MJ’s estate.

“I’m pleased with the court’s finding,” Gourjian said.

Jury selection for Murray’s manslaughter trial gets underway later this month. He faces up to four years in prison if convicted
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891
    I hope the trial won't be delayed. And again I hope Michael comes back this year. He told in TII that we have only 4 years to get it right mentioning 2012. So whatever his plan is according to the end of the world, it would be too late if he comes back in 2012 in my opinion. He needs to come back this year. So I'm crossing my fingers for this trial not to be delayed.

Don't worry PureLove, because I suspect the trial needs to be delayed a little bit.

But just a very little bit. March 24th as a start date is just a tad early if this is to last 6 weeks.

Thank you Bec. I asked this elsewhere but I don't remember someone answered it. How do we know the trial will last 6 weeks or 60 days? What if it lasts more than a couple of months, a year?
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    How do we know the trial will last 6 weeks or 60 days? What if it lasts more than a couple of months, a year? [/b]

Simple answer PureLove, is that we don't know. I think reports from the court have said it is EXPECTED to last 6 weeks, but since when did things happen as we expected?! If it lasts a couple of months, a year, as you mention in your post, then so be it. We just have to sit patiently, watching and waiting.

And while we're doing 'what if's', what if it doesn't happen at all, what if it keeps on getting delayed, because let's face it, if MJ is alive, then prosecution is never going to be 'ready' to go to court!
    [center:1cgw3vk2]v5hlc6.gif?t=1266342356f[/center:1cgw3vk2]

M:"Sorry, what?"
    Audience person:trial is DELAYED!!
    M:Oh? *fools, think it's all by accident*hahahaha"

Totally what this picture would sound like if it had audio.
  • curlscurls Posts: 3,111
    Sinders - that is totally unfair!! How can I drag myself away from the computer when you present me with a mesmerising vid like that above?! xxx
    Oh that's easy,you don't <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
    [center:2abillb9]v5hlc6.gif?t=1266342356f[/center:2abillb9]

M:"Sorry, what?"
    Audience person:trial is DELAYED!!
    M:Oh? *fools, think it's all by accident*hahahaha"

Totally what this picture would sound like if it had audio.
    YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY MICHAEL. THANKS FOR THE CUTE CUTE PIC
    How do we know the trial will last 6 weeks or 60 days? What if it lasts more than a couple of months, a year? [/b]

Simple answer PureLove, is that we don't know. I think reports from the court have said it is EXPECTED to last 6 weeks, but since when did things happen as we expected?! If it lasts a couple of months, a year, as you mention in your post, then so be it. We just have to sit patiently, watching and waiting.

And while we're doing 'what if's', what if it doesn't happen at all, what if it keeps on getting delayed, because let's face it, if MJ is alive, then prosecution is never going to be 'ready' to go to court!

And....WHAT IF, it happens and we NEVER get answers, or don't get the one we want??
  • In TII Michael said:

"We have four years to get it right, otherwise it is irreversible"

Sorry, but I still believe Michael is coming back in 2012, as I said before on this forum. The 4 years: 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012:

2009 <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> is the world in shock of his death.
    2010 <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> is the year of the investigation, trialS and the outcome of weird "coincidences" during the investigation with the result that the group of believers grows, according to plan.
    2011 <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> will be the trial(S) (including delays) year with many surprises and more mysteries and a lot of media and internet attention, start Immortal Tour, Oprah in November, the group believers is still growing. In 2011 Michael's message "to get it right" via media sources internet, TMZ etc. will reach a bigger (believers) audience.
    In 2012 <!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> Murray's trial ends, the truth will be unfold piece by piece in big spotlights because media is focussed and then BAM...Michael <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
    JMHO of course.

And....WHAT IF, it happens and we NEVER get answers, or don't get the one we want??

We will have to cross that bridge when we get to it fordtocarr.

No Fear.
  • PureLovePureLove Posts: 5,891

Thank you Curls. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I've been trying to find out how we learned it will last 6 weeks only. So we know it from the reports came out from the court. Anything can happen like you wrote.

My worst characteristic feature is being impatient. I couldn't even believe myself how I've been following the hoax for such a long time. I think this is one of the features Michael gained me with his faked death. I would never ever expect myself researching for clues and waiting for him to come back to see him healthy again for 2 years. But lately I feel like I started loosing my patience. I've been on this for almost 19 months and I never had a break. It's been so so long for a person who hates to wait and to make people wait lol. If this wasn't Michael, I know that I would never bother keeping up with the hoax this long. It's because I love him so so much. Well, let's wait (damn it!) and see.
    <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->